由于贸易谈判破裂,加拿大将对美国关税采取“对等”报复措施。
Canada will match US tariffs 'dollar for dollar' as trade talks break down

原始链接: https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cvgvyy4x2mvo

美国与加拿大的贸易谈判宣告破裂,导致美国对加拿大商品加征新一轮关税。加拿大总理马克·卡尼在最后期限前不久中止了谈判,理由是美国在最后一刻对拟议条款作出了“不公平”且“不符合经济逻辑”的修改。 作为回应,卡尼宣布加拿大将对美国产品实施对等的“逐美元”报复性关税。此次谈判破裂发生在双方围绕钢铁、铝、汽车和乳制品等关键行业进行数月激烈辩论之后。尽管此前官员们曾表示双方已接近达成妥协,但突如其来的僵局导致美国立即对服装、乳制品和葡萄酒等多种加拿大商品加征50%的关税。 美国贸易代表杰米森·格里尔指责加拿大导致谈判失败,称该国在违背此前承诺后“拒绝敲定贸易协议”。商业团体警告称,这种升级将扰乱供应链并损害两国经济,而加拿大官员则坚持认为,采取坚定的报复立场对于保护国家利益是必要的。

```Hacker News最新 | 过往 | 评论 | 提问 | 展示 | 招聘 | 提交登录 加拿大将在贸易谈判破裂后对美国关税采取“美元对美元”的报复措施 (bbc.com) 26 积分,由 tartoran 在 1 小时前发布 | 隐藏 | 过往 | 收藏 | 3 条评论 帮助 ElProlactin 14 分钟前 | 下一条 [–] 交易的艺术再次重演。回复 conartist6 4 分钟前 | 父评论 | 下一条 [–] 昨天非常好,今天非常糟。我完全理解为什么各国都不愿与一个任性的孩子讨价还价。回复 TMWNN 18 分钟前 | 上一条 [–] /r/geopolitics 讨论 回复 指南 | 常见问题 | 列表 | API | 安全 | 法律 | 申请 YC | 联系 搜索: ```
相关文章

原文

Canada says it will match US tariffs 'dollar for dollar' as trade talks break down

Reuters Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney attends the announcement of a Quebec-Newfoundland hydro agreement Reuters
Prime Minister Mark Carney said progress in the talks was not enough to meet Canada's objectives

A fresh wave of US tariffs on a wide array of Canadian goods came into effect on Saturday after a last-minute breakdown in trade talks.

Announcing the suspension of negotiations shortly before the Friday night deadline, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said he would impose reciprocal tariffs on US goods "dollar for dollar".

Carney said "last-minute changes in the US proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal".

Trade negotiators had been engaged in intense talks since July, after President Donald Trump threatened to impose a 50% levy on nearly $20bn (C$28bn) of Canadian imports by 19 August.

Trump had temporarily paused those tariffs earlier in the week, saying the two sides were close to signing a trade deal that was "very good" for both countries.

But minutes before the deadline for a deal, Carney said that while "important progress" had been made in the talks it was "not enough to meet our objectives for Canadians".

"As a result, this evening, I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the US and have directed negotiators to return to Ottawa," he said.

"Last-minute changes in the US proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal."

After Carney's announcement US trade representative Jamieson Greer said in a statement: "Tonight, Canada declined to finalise the trade deal under the terms agreed earlier this week.

"Despite the US offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days."

The breakdown in talks marks a significant shift in tone from earlier in the week, when both US and Canadian officials sounded optimistic that a trade deal beneficial for both countries was within reach.

Negotiators were reportedly discussing a deal that would reduce US tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminium from 50% to 25%, and on Canadian autos from 25% to 15%.

In exchange, Carney had asked Canadian provinces to restore US alcohol to store shelves.

Tensions between the two major trading partners have been simmering since Trump returned to office in January last year and unleashed a wide-ranging global programme of tariffs, upending decades of free trade between Canada and the US.

Now that talks have broken down, Canada will be hit with new 50% US tariffs imposed by Trump using a Depression-era law called the Tariff Act of 1930.

They will be applied on a range of goods, including wine, dairy, cement, clothing and hockey equipment.

They are in addition to existing tariffs the US had already imposed on Canadian steel and aluminium, autos and lumber.

Doug Ford, the traditionally outspoken premier of Canada's largest province Ontario, said "the prime minister has my full support for a strong response - tariff for tariff, dollar for dollar," following Carney's announcement.

Canada has been engaged in on-again, off-again trade negotiations with the US for over a year in pursuit of a deal that would see the US drop or reduce tariffs on these key sectors.

The US, meanwhile, has been asking for a number of concessions from Canada, including removing its remaining retaliatory tariffs on American autos and adjusting its dairy quotas to allow greater access for US cheese producers.

It has also asked that the ban on US alcohol sales, imposed last year by most Canadian provinces in retaliation to Trump's tariffs, be removed.

Businesses and stakeholders on both sides of the border had pushed for a deal to be reached, arguing that the new US tariffs on Canada will be harmful to both countries.

The US Chamber of Commerce said earlier in the week in a statement that "higher tariffs would damage both economies, drive up costs for US families, further disrupt critical supply chains, and risk the 13 million American jobs that depend on trade under the US-Mexico-Canada Trade Agreement".

A recent poll by Canadian firm Abacus Data suggested that around 36% of Canadians would support retaliating to US tariffs, while another 30% would want the Carney government to continue negotiating.

Retaliation risks upsetting the Trump administration, with trade representative Jamieson Greer saying the US is "not going to tolerate" counter-tariffs.

"We'll take action," he told reporters last week.

联系我们 contact @ memedata.com