美国加大对肯尼亚海地行动的军事支持
US Ramps Up Military Support For Kenyan Operations In Haiti

原始链接: https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/us-ramps-military-support-kenyan-operations-haiti

美国增加了对肯尼亚在海地军事存在的援助,向他们提供了额外的装甲车。 此前,美国南方司令部最近宣布加强对海地肯尼亚军队的军事援助。 肯尼亚军方正在执行多国安全支持 (MSS) 任务,支持海地的稳定工作,其中包括一支由 10 架美国提供的 MRAPS 组成的舰队。 2021年初,肯尼亚应美国要求派遣大量武装部队前往海地开展“警察”行动,目的是帮助当地政府在海地总统遇刺导致政局不稳定后恢复秩序。 从那时起,美国一直在为肯尼亚领导的军队提供训练、资助和提供武器,目的是在美国支持的政府引发的骚乱中控制海地。 最近,由于过去爆发的霍乱疫情以及海地联合国维和人员普遍存在的性虐待问题,人们担心外国军队介入可能带来的负面影响。 尽管存在这些担忧,肯尼亚军队现在正准备在海地一些最危险的地区行动,例如太子港的暴力社区,总理加里·科尼尔敦促保持耐心。

相关文章

原文

Via The Libertarian Institute

The White House is upping its support for the Kenyan operations in Haiti by sending an additional two dozen armored vehicles. The US is backing Nairobi’s armed force in Port-au-Prince. 

On Friday, US Southern Command issued a statement on boosting military aid for the Kenyan forces in Haiti. "As part of the US government’s ongoing support to Haitian-led security efforts in the country, 24 additional MRAPS will be delivered and transferred to Kenyan personnel deployed to Haiti as part of the Multinational Security Support (MSS) mission."

UN peacekeeping forces. Illustrative via Shutterstock

It continues, "The MSS will add the vehicles to its existing fleet of 10 US-provided MRAPS."

Earlier this year, Nairobi sent hundreds of armed troops to the Caribbean nation on what it dubs a "policing" operation. The US orchestrated the deployment of Kenyan soldiers to Haiti. 

Washington believed the troops could aid Haitian police in restoring power in Port-au-Prince to a government set up by the White House. Following the assassination of President Jovenal Moise in 2021, Haiti dissented into chaos under US-backed governments. 

The White House got authorization to finance, train, and arm a Kenyan-led military force to take control of Haiti from paramilitary groups and gangs. Responsible Statecraft previously detailed when the troops touched down in May:

Washington pledged its financial and logistical support for the mission in a defense agreement with Kenya signed in September 2023. It was then that Kenya committed to deploying 1,000 troops to Port-au-Prince. The mission is also expected to include about 1,500 soldiers and police officers from other countries, bringing the total size of the prospective intervention force to 2,500.

However, the troops are said to be in a policing role and are not operating as UN Peacekeepers. Peacekeepers have a dark legacy in Haiti including causing a cholera outbreak and rampant sexual abuse

Recent footage from this summer showing the chaotic streets of Port-au-Prince...

Prime Minister Garry Conille said Wednesday the Kenyan forces will begin operations in one of Port au Prince’s roughest neighborhoods. "It’s not going to be quick," he added, "we must be patient."

联系我们 contact @ memedata.com