俄亥俄州向斯普林菲尔德派遣士兵并为海地人涌入提供资金
Ohio Sending Troopers, Funding To Springfield Over Haitian Influx

原始链接: https://www.zerohedge.com/political/ohio-sending-troopers-funding-springfield-over-haitian-influx

由于自 2020 年以来抵达斯普林菲尔德的海地移民数量不断增加,俄亥俄州州长迈克·德温 (Mike DeWine) 计划派遣执法人员,并拨款 250 万美元用于斯普林菲尔德的医疗服务。移民激增引发了交通事故增加、学校拥挤和医院时间长等问题。 等待时间。 州长解决了有关宠物盗窃和虐待指控的争议,但澄清说没有经过核实的案件。 共和党副总统候选人的竞选伙伴、参议员 JD 万斯也表达了类似的担忧,但没有提供证据。 在持续的紧张局势中,斯普林菲尔德官员表示,目前还没有确认的宠物伤害事件。 DeWine 强调,虽然他支持 TPS 计划,但联邦政府需要帮助受影响的社区。 此外,德温的家人经营着一家海地慈善学校,其中一所学校最近因该国不断升级的暴力和不稳定而关闭。 由于犯罪猖獗、绑架风险、政治动荡和医疗设施不合格,海地仍被评为“4 级 - 请勿旅行”。

相关文章

原文

Authored by Jack Phillips via The Epoch Times (emphasis ours),

Ohio’s governor says he is sending law enforcement officials and millions of dollars in health care resources to Springfield, a city at the center of a national spotlight on Haitian illegal immigrants.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine speaks in Columbus, Ohio, on May 23, 2024. Patrick Orsagos/AP Photo

Gov. Mike DeWine, a Republican, said he doesn’t oppose the Temporary Protected Status program under which some 15,000 Haitians have arrived in the city of about 59,000 people since 2020. However, he said, the federal government must do more to help impacted communities.

In a news conference on Sept. 10, DeWine said that “dramatic surges” in illegal immigrants “impact every citizen of the community,” adding that the small Ohio cities of Lima and Findlay also have had influxes.

The federal government simply has to be part of the solution,” the governor said. “They have to step up. It’s their policies that have created these surges.”

He said the influx affects “moms who have to wait hours in a waiting room with a sick child, everyone who drives on the streets, and it affects children who go to school in more-crowded classrooms.”

On Sept. 11, the Ohio State Highway Patrol is being dispatched to help local police with traffic issues in Springfield.

City officials and social media posts have indicated that Haitian drivers are frequently involved in accidents and crashes, the governor said.

“The goal, of course, is to reduce dangerous driving regardless of who the driver is,” he said.

DeWine said he is also earmarking $2.5 million over two years for more primary health care through the county health department and private health care institutions.

Controversy over migrants in Springfield erupted earlier this month after some social media users said that Haitian immigrants were eating people’s pets, as well as ducks from a park.

People who spoke at town hall events, videos of which were uploaded online, also said that the immigrants frequently crash their vehicles, camp, and squat on locals’ property, cannot speak English, and haven’t tried to assimilate into the broader American culture.

The allegations were enhanced by Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio), the Republican vice presidential nominee, who said on social media that “people have had their pets abducted and eaten by people who shouldn’t be in this country.” He added that immigrants are allegedly “causing chaos all over Springfield.”

In a newer post on Sept. 10, Vance wrote that his office received inquiries about the claims and that it’s possible “that all of these rumors turn out to be false.”

In a statement on Sept. 10, Springfield Strategic Engagement Manager Karen Graves told The Epoch Times, “There have been no credible reports or specific claims of pets being harmed, injured, or abused by individuals within the immigrant community.”

Multiple requests to the Springfield Police Division for comment have not been returned.

Earlier this year, the Department of Homeland Security announced Temporary Protected Status for Haitians who arrived in the United States before June 3, including those who entered illegally, protecting them from being deported back to Haiti.

DeWine’s family operates a charity in Haiti, which has built a network of schools. Earlier this year, a school founded by the charity was forced to close as armed gangs took over swaths of Haiti in the latest round of unrest to hit the impoverished country, the Ohio governor told reporters.

Long considered the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere, Haiti has been beset by gang warfare since the country’s president, Jovenel Moise, was assassinated in July 2021. The U.S. Embassy currently lists the country as “Level 4—Do Not Travel,” because of crime, kidnappings, general unrest, and poor health care infrastructure.

“U.S. citizens in Haiti should depart Haiti as soon as possible by commercial or other privately available transportation options, in light of the current security situation and infrastructure challenges,” the embassy said in a bulletin last year, which hasn’t been updated.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

联系我们 contact @ memedata.com